I was in serious need of some comfort food this weekend and I was seriously not in the mood to go to the grocery store. So, I threw the food we had on-hand into the crockpot to let it do the cooking for me. And it just so happened that I had lots of quinoa in the pantry, which made an excellent base for this casserole. And it gave me a great opportunity to try cooking quinoa in a slow cooker.
I had zucchini and carrots in the fridge, but bell peppers, broccoli, and just about any other vegetable I can think of would taste great in here! And feel free to use a smaller can of green chiles. We just really like green chiles in our family.
I keep 2-cup portions of shredded zucchini in my freezer, so the only prep work I needed to do was shred the carrots, chop the parsley, and dice the roasted red peppers. The rest was just throwing it all into the crockpot and waiting! I love my slow cooker.
- 2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 3 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 7 oz can green chiles, drained
- 8 oz Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak quinoa for 15 minutes in water, rinse, and add to crockpot.
- Add all other ingredients, except for the cream cheese and sour cream, to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork, then stir in cream cheese and sour cream.
- Cook for another 15-30 minutes, until cream cheese is melted.
Nutritional Information per serving, according to My Fitness Pal : Calories - 290, Fat - 8g, Protein - 11g, Carbohydrates - 42g, Fiber - 5g