*This post contains affiliate links, at no extra cost to you.
I’ve missed baking. I haven’t made a cookie, brownie, or cupcake in way too long and since I’m finally learning some self-control when it comes to junk food, I pulled out the flour, butter, and sugar! There’s something seriously cathartic about the rhythmic whir of my KitchenAid mixer.
Some days, I wish I could just bake for other people all day long (because eating 16 cupcakes myself probably doesn’t fall under the umbrella of “self-control”), but I can’t think too hard about the technicalities of that scenario, because then it makes me hate the situation. I wouldn’t want people telling me what to bake or how many I had to make…I would want baking freedom to make what I felt like making when I felt like making it. And providing myself ample breaks to play Draw Something in between.
And back to the real world….I made cupcakes. 🙂 They have one of my favorite candies (Hershey’s Cookies & Cream bars) mixed into the batter and the frosting. And it didn’t hurt to add more on top for decoration. Because a little excess never hurt anyone…in moderation. Sometimes I crack myself up. I think I’ll lay off the sugar now.
The cake flour adds the light fluffiness and the pudding mix brings the moisture. And the candy brings the crunchy cookie, creamy white chocolate goodness.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk + 1 Tbs lemon juice)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 box (4.2 oz) cookies and cream pudding mix
- 1/2 cup cookies and cream chocolate bars, finely chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cookies & cream candy bars, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the egg, then mix in the buttermilk and pudding mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in chocolate bars.
- Spoon mixture into a greased muffin tin, filling each container 2/3 of the way to the top.
- Bake 18-25 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing to incorporate.
- Beat in vanilla and candy pieces.