Welcome to Meat Week!
Like I said yesterday, the inspiration for this week came from a Destination America rep asking me to participate in their Meat Week, but I loved the idea so much that I decided to make it Meat Week here on So Very Blessed, too!
My coworker and I were talking the other day about stuffed burgers. I normally don’t make them, because most of the time it’s just easier to pile the toppings on top. And, when you stuff burgers, it tends to make them pretty big (not that that’s necessarily a problem)!
But this burger? It’s worth stuffing it. The burger meat is flavorful and it stays together so the filling doesn’t leak out, thanks to the egg!
And the filling…oh, the filling – spicy jalapenos, smooth cream cheese, and crispy french fried onions.
*Tip – If you don’t like the jalapenos to have as much of a kick (like me!), soak them in cold water for about 30 minutes. You still have the flavor without the burning-your-taste-buds-off sensation!
So, start by dividing a pound of ground beef into 6 pieces.
Flatten one of the pieces and top it with a big ol’ spoonful of the cream cheese/jalapeno/french fried onion mixture.
Flatten another piece of meat and place it on top of the cream cheese.
At this step, I found that it’s easiest if you mold the meat around the cream cheese mixture, almost making a massive meatball. Then carefully flatten it down into a patty shape, pressing the edges gently to stay sealed.
Then grill it up, put it on a bun, and sprinkle on some more french fried onions.
I’m a big texture person when it comes to food, so that extra crunch from the onions might be my favorite part of this burger, since it is such a contrast to the smooth melted cream cheese and meaty burger.
I also ended up adding a little bit of ranch to my burger, not because it needed a sauce, but because it tamed the spice a bit more!
Stay tuned for the next 4 days for more Meat Week burger recipes!
Also, I’m currently watching my first episode of BBQ Pitmasters – my mouth is watering already. Ribs, brisket, chicken, pork…I’ll take it all!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs dried minced onions
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbs diced jalapenos (~1/2 of a 4oz can)
- 2 Tbs french fried onions, plus more for topping
- 3 hamburger buns
- Mix ground beef, egg, minced onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper together.
- In a separate bowl combine cream cheese, jalapenos, and french fried onions.
- Separate the ground beef mixture into 6 equal pieces.
- Flatten two pieces of meat into round patties, spoon 2-3 Tbs of cream cheese mixture into the middle of one piece, then place the other piece on top.
- Mold meat to completely surround cream cheese, then flatten and form into a patty. Repeat to form 3 filled hamburger patties.
- Grill over high heat for 5-8 minutes per side, or until meat temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Place each patty onto a bun. Top with french fried onions.
*Destination America contacted me and offered to send me Destination America swag in return for a recipe post in celebration of Meat Week. I am insanely excited about this idea and am going meat-crazy this week, just because, well, I love meat, whether Destination America sent me swag or not.*