I’m adjusting to farm life quite nicely. Most of the time, this is a pretty busy place. People are in and out for programming, volunteering, and the animal care routine almost constantly.
But yesterday was a day of peace. I woke up early, watched the sunrise, and went for my first run in…well, a long while. I spent almost all day out in the yard with the animals. I played with the 4 dogs, had my face groomed by a duck, had my hair nibbled on by a baby goat, cuddled a baby bunny…
peace. love. happiness.
Speaking of happiness…pizza.
No, seriously. It’s a very happy food.
You can have large pizzas, personal pizzas, pizza bagels, pizza rolls, thin crust, stuffed crust, thick crust, pizza sauce, alfredo sauce, barbecue sauce, and as many toppings as the eye could see. With so many choices, it’s easy to please even picky eaters.
I love delivery pizza crusts and even Boboli crusts are good, but homemade pizza crust just adds a special flair. Some days I make the bread by hand, because kneading dough is cheap therapy, but most times I just toss all of the ingredients into the bread machine and let it work its magic.
This recipe makes enough for one thick crust pizza, two thinner (what I would call “regular”) crust pizzas, or 6 individual crusts (~6″ across) . Sometimes if I’m feeling zany, I’ll even put some cornmeal under the crust to add an extra crunch.
It’s chewy and crunchy and topped with pizza sauce and melted cheese is just…happiness.
- 1 1/2 c. warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 - 4 c. flour
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt, and oil.
- Add 2 cups flour and mix well. Gradually mix in remaining flour.
- Knead well, then let rest in a greased bowl in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Roll out into a 14" pan.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Bread machine instructions:
1. Put ingredients into bread machine in the order your manufacturer's instructions recommend.
2. Set to "dough" setting.
3. When the dough cycle is complete, roll out into a 14" pan.
4. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.