For the past few years, I’ve started the year off with a weight loss update. I wanted to continue the tradition, I’m just a little late this year!
A glimpse of last year’s results –
And now this year’s –
I wish I could tell you that there was some magic secret that I’d discovered, but it’s all of the obvious things that have made a difference.
- No fast food. I just don’t eat it anymore and honestly, I don’t miss it. It’s not a rule that I’m trying to follow, I just haven’t felt like it. I order whatever I want when I go to sit down restaurants, but I’ve found that even there I’m eating less and craving healthier choices.
- No soda. That’s not a new thing for me. I don’t like the feel of carbonation in my mouth. I pretty much live off of water with Mio, with an occasional juice box treat thrown in (I love a good Capri Sun).
- Exercise. I do whatever I feel like doing, whenever I feel like doing it. That’s new for me. I’ve always set specific goals and focused on one particular kind of workout, but lately I’ve been doing a mixture of running, yoga, pilates, walking, weight training, various DVD workouts, and some random calisthenics thrown in. I’d say I probably do some kind of exercise 3-4 times a week, though I don’t plan it. I just go out and do it when I have time.
- The FitBit. It’s a simple black wristband that shows me how much I’ve walked that day (and it also tracks my sleep, which I love!). Just seeing the little dots light up motivates me to move more to get up to 10,000 steps a day. Farm chores have helped a lot with meeting that goal, but when I see the wristband, it just reminds me to make different choices – to park a little bit farther away in the grocery store parking lot, to walk the long way around, etc. It’s helped me to just be more mindful of how much I move (or don’t move, as the case sometimes is).
- Vegetables. I can’t even tell you how much I’ve been craving vegetables lately! Not in salad form, mind you. Actually, I can’t even remember the last time I ate a salad, but I’ve tried to have spaghetti squash, asparagus, and zucchini on-hand at all times, because it just always sounds good these days. Because those are the things I’ve been wanting more of, I’ve found myself eating much smaller portions of meats and carbs.
- Rule-less Living. I haven’t been restricting myself at all. There are no rules about what I can and can’t eat. I eat Bagel Bites and soft pretzels and Caramel Crunch gelato. If I’m craving a cookie, I eat one. I went through a box of Nutter Bars last week, because that was the sweet treat that sounded good. Because I don’t have rules, I don’t have the urge to break them, which seems to give me more self-control.
I’m less concerned with the scale than I’ve ever been, but here are the stats:
January 2012 – 194 lbs
January 2013 – 171 lbs
March 2014 – 160 lbs
The goal weight that has forever been my goal weight remains 150 lbs. I’m not in a hurry to reach it. If I never do, that’s okay with me, too. The part of all of this that matters most is that I feel fantastic these days! I feel healthy and energized and I’m more confident that I’ve ever been. A lot of my clothes are now baggy and falling off of me (such a great fashion statement), but that’s a small price to pay for this feeling.
I do want to focus more on weight training this year. My arms are just so weak and I’d love to gain some strength. I spent a month last Spring doing a Cindy Crawford DVD that produced some great results and I’d really like to see that again, so we’ll see what will happen on that front.
For now, I’m thrilled with where I am. I love the direction I’m going and hope it continues!