This Bacon and Egg Cheeseburger combines the best of both of the breakfast and dinner worlds into one amazing burger, perfect for a Father’s Day cookout!
After many (many) hours of driving, Boots and I have arrived in Colorado to spend some much needed time with my family. We’re headed up to our family cabin for the weekend, but seeing as it’s Father’s Day weekend, it only seems fitting to post a recipe that reminds me of my dad.
That’s him. The one humoring his youngest daughter by posing by the pair of gargantuan bat ears. He’s a pretty amazing dad, that one. And this guy loves a good burger.
When a Red Robin restaurant first opened up near my parents’ house, I remember my dad just being in awe of the massive list of burgers they offered (and the tower of onion rings was a hit, too). I vaguely remember him mentioning wanting to try a different burger each visit until he made it through the entire menu, which I thought was quite the admirable goal.
I don’t believe he even got close to trying every single burger, but I was with him when he ordered what they call the “Royal Red Robin” burger, which is topped with a fried egg and bacon.
It sounded like such a strange concept at the time, but after
stealing politely accepting a bite, I was immediately sold. It just works!
I had to recreate the burger in the comfort of my own home, in honor of my dad, of course!
As it always does, the bacon adds the most incredible crunch to the burger, while the egg yolk balances it out with rich creaminess, which, for me, makes additional condiments entirely unnecessary.
My dad doesn’t read my blog, because he’s not exactly internet savvy and I’m pretty sure he still doesn’t fully understand what a blog is, so I’d type Happy Father’s Day to him, but seeing as I’m actually in Colorado for Father’s Day, I’m going to step away from the laptop, and give him a big ol’ fashioned hug.Print
Bacon and Egg Cheeseburger Recipe
- Yield: 4
For the Burger Patties
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 c. breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
For the Toppings
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 4 hamburger buns
- Combine all burger patty ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Divide mixture into 4 even pieces and shape each piece into a patty.
- Grill, covered, over high heat for 5-8 minutes per side, or until meat temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Place one slice of cheese on each burger, close the cover on the grill, and let the cheese melt for about a minute.
- Remove patties from grill.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat on a stovetop and cook eggs to your desired doneness.
- Place each patty on a bun and top with egg and bacon.