There are certain things that must happen every summer to, well, make it feel like summer. And because I’m crazy about food, most of them happen to be edible :
Marshmallows must be roasted over a campfire and s’mores must follow – check.
Sleep in (a lot) – check.
Hamburgers must be grilled – check (times gazillion).
Watermelon must be eaten in mass quantities – check.
Have a movie night. With popcorn. – check.
Eat all the zucchini. – work in progress.
I normally don’t like eating the same food over and over again, but this summer especially, I am zucchini-obsessed! I make it in some way for almost every meal – sauteed, grilled, shredded…I just can’t get enough.
For this recipe, slice the zucchini into thick coins and slide them onto skewers. Then brush them with olive oil.
And mix together your topping – Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and pepper.
Sprinkle it onto your zucchini coins.
And press it on there a bit to help it stick. Do that for both sides of your zucchini.
Then toss ’em on the grill!
Everything is better with grill marks.
Grilling these melts the cheese and adds just a hint of saltiness so that the taste of the fresh, summery zucchini still shines. And they go well with just about everything! But I recommend eating them alongside a juicy grilled burger with a big ol’ bowl of watermelon…and s’mores for dessert. 😉
- 4 small zucchini, sliced into 3/4” coins
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Slide zucchini coins onto skewers through the skin, keeping the flat side up.
- Mix together Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Brush zucchini with olive oil, then sprinkle with the cheese mixture and press gently to help it stick.
- Grill for 3-5 minutes, flip, then cook another 3-5 minutes.