This weekend, I had the joy of spending time with my parents up in the White Mountains and it was absolutely beautiful! There were leaves changing color all around us, chipmunks and squirrels shimmying up and down tree trunks, birds chirping, shimmering lakes, rocky hiking trails, afternoon rainstorms, chilly temperatures, and we even found a moose-themed restaurant whose owner is just as moose-obsessed as I am!
This is time of year that kicks off baking season for me. Nothing says comfort like spending time outside in the cool weather outside, then walking into a house that smells like sweet, vanilla-y fresh baked bread. And because this bread uses white wheat flour, it’s more nutritious and it keeps you full longer than breads made with all white flour do.
And it’s quick and easy to throw together! Combine all of your wet ingredients in one bowl. I use applesauce to cut down on the oil used and honey as a more wholesome alternative to sugar.
Then all that’s left to do is bake! And fill your house with wafting vanilla and cinnamon. Your mouth will water and you will be counting down to the timer ringing, just thinking about the warm, soft bread with crunchy nuts and plump raisins that awaits you.
Which is a good thing, because you definitely want to eat this while it’s still warm. I mean, it’s still amazing after it cools off, but warm sweet bread straight from the oven? You don’t want to miss out on that.Print
Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 1
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 c. grated zucchini
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat egg and coconut oil together in a large bowl. Mix in applesauce, honey, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Pour dry ingredients into egg mixture and stir just to combine
- Mix in zucchini, nuts, and raisins.
- Pour batter into greased 8″ loaf pans.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then remove bread from pan.
- Serving Size: 1/12 loaf