This easy roasted spaghetti squash makes pasta-like strands that make for a perfect and versatile healthy winter vegetable side dish.
My mom introduced us to all kinds of foods as we were growing up. I’ve been eating artichokes, jicama, and spaghetti squash for as long as I can remember!
Spaghetti squash is all the rage these days, but when I was growing up, it seemed like nobody else had even heard of it!
You know that scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding where she brings moussaka for lunch, but her white Wonder Bread sandwich friends have no idea what it is, so they mock her by calling it “moose caca”? I definitely had some very similar school lunch experiences like that in elementary school!
Now, however, spaghetti squash is finally being appreciated in all of its healthy and delicious winter vegetable glory!
It’s super simple to make. Slice the squash in half. That is the most difficult part of the recipe and sometimes I microwave the squash for a minute or so to soften it just a little bit. Then scoop out all of the seeds from the inside – a grapefruit spoon makes it even easier!
Now turn the halves upside down onto some parchment paper. You can cook it straight on the pan, but I like to avoid extra dishes whenever possible!
Now, roast it! There is no wrong way to cook a spaghetti squash. You can microwave it or slow cook it, but roasting is my absolutely favorite way to prepare almost every vegetable because it brings out just a little bit of lovely sweetness in that caramelization.
Use a fork to scrape out all of those lovely little strands and stir in your favorite spices! I love the classic most – just a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
And you can never go wrong with a little sprinkle of Parmesan cheese!
This vegetable side dish goes with just about everything, and you can always mix and match the spices to go with your main dish! Add a little spaghetti sauce and baked chicken and you’ve almost got chicken parmesan. Toss in some green chiles to go with your Mexican meal, or some fresh tomatoes and basil to go Italian.
The possibilities are endless!
Yields 4 servings
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 large spaghetti squash (2-3 pounds)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley (or 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional, grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Microwave squash for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Using a large spoon, remove seeds.
- Cover baking pan with parchment paper (or spray to grease) and place squash halves, cut sides down, on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of the squash.
- Using a fork, shred the flesh of the squash.
- Mix with oil and spices. Sprinkle with cheese (optional)