This festive popcorn is super simple, using hot chocolate mix and marshmallows, and it can be thrown together in minutes for a perfect party treat!
*This post contains affiliate links.
The holidays are definitely in full swing around here with Christmas parties, small group potlucks, present shopping, and cookie baking! There are a ton of things to do, but not much time to do it in, which is exactly why I try to find recipes that are quick and easy to make, but still fun and festive.
What You Need
This is kind of like a “my favorite things” recipe – popcorn, chocolate, marshmallows. Ohh yes.
- SkinnyPop popcorn because I’m kind of addicted (salty, crunchy goodness in a bag!) and they do the popping for me so I can throw this whole thing together in 5 minutes.
- Hot chocolate mix. You can use your favorite flavor, but I love the traditional Swiss Miss packets.
- Mini marshmallows because they are practically perfect in every way – sweet, fluffy, altogether lovely.
- Chocolate chips for a beautifully delicious chocolate drizzle. I like to use my Wilton squeeze bottles for drizzling, but you can always just use a spoon. Oh, and I’ve found adding just a touch of oil makes the chocolate smoother and easier to drizzle!
- Cooking spray to get the hot chocolate powder to stick to the kernels.
Are you ready for this? It’s the simplest thing ever!
- Dump the SkinnyPop popcorn in a big bowl.
- Lightly spray with the cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with the hot chocolate powder.
- Gently stir or toss it, then spray and sprinkle again until all kernels are covered.
- Mix in the marshmallows.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the popcorn.
- Let the chocolate cool/set.
- Enjoy the crunchy hot chocolatey deliciousness!
It is the perfect snack to take to a holiday party or potluck, because it is a crowd pleaser, kids and adults alike!
And feel free to let your imagination go wild! You could add some red and green M&Ms for a splash of Christmas color or some chocolate peppermint baking bits for a minty spin on hot chocolate.
It would make a special movie night snack for your Christmas movie marathons (bring on Elf and The Santa Claus!). You could leave it out as your treat for Santa instead of cookies (I’m pretty sure he would love this stuff!).
The options are endless!
Wishing you a merry Christmas full of fun, festive treats!Print
Hot Chocolate Popcorn Recipe
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- 16 cups popped popcorn (I used a 4.4 oz bag of original SkinnyPop)
- cooking spray
- 2 packets of hot chocolate mix
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- Optional – 1/4 tsp oil
- Pour popcorn into a large bowl or onto a cookie sheet.
- Lightly spray with enough oil to thinly coat the kernels and sprinkle with hot chocolate mix.
- Toss to coat, spraying again if needed.
- Mix in marshmallows.
- Melt chocolate then stir in oil to make it easier to pour.
- Drizzle over hot chocolate and allow to cool and harden.
- Serving Size: 4-6