This Chicken Sausage & Cabbage Skillet is a fast and simple one-pan dish, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or busy weeknight dinners.
I am a huge fan of celebrating holidays with food. At Valentine’s Day, you better believe your eggs are going to have a ketchup heart drawn on top alongside heart-shaped toast. At Halloween, there will be jack-o-lantern shaped pizza, we celebrate Chinese New Year with homemade egg rolls, and Christmas will have Santa hat fruit kabobs.
I have some fun St. Patrick’s Day dessert recipes, but I’ve shied away from the traditional main dishes because I’m just not a huge fan of corned beef. It’s fine and all. I will eat it if someone makes it for me. But it’s not something I willingly choose.
Cabbage, though? Oh, I LOVE cabbage! It’s one of my favorite side dishes! Sauteed cabbage goes well with so many dishes and it is super St. Patrick’s Day-esque!
I wanted to make it a bit more of a main dish by bringing in some chicken apple sausage (one of my favorite proteins!), so it was just begging to be made into a Chicken Sausage & Cabbage Skillet!
Chicken Sausage Cabbage Skillet
The best part of this dish is that it is so easy to make! Chopping the cabbage is the most labor intensive part of the entire recipe (and you could always buy bags of shredded cabbage to skip this part).
First, chop up a head of cabbage. Now, I will warn you, one head of cabbage is a LOT. I used the biggest cutting board we have and it created a cabbage mountain.
Heat up some oil in a dutch oven and brown up the chicken sausage. You can definitely use a large skillet, but I didn’t have one large enough for all of the cabbage to fit!
When the chicken sausage is browned, put it on a plate and set it aside.
Add the onion to the pan and cook it for a few minutes, then add all of the rest of the ingredients.
Cook it until the cabbage is browned and slightly wilted, then add the chicken sausage back in for a couple more minutes to heat it back up.
And there you have it, a ready-to-serve Chicken Sausage Cabbage Skillet!
It is amazing all by itself, but it pairs beautifully with roasted red potatoes, too!
You have yourself a very festive, healthy, and delicious weeknight dinner!
Serves 6 servings
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 Tbs avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cooked chicken apple sausages (~18 oz), sliced into coins
- 1 sweet onion, cut in half, then in thin slices
- 1 head cabbage, cored and roughly chopped
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion and cook until lightly browned.
- Add remaining ingredients to the skillet and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is wilted and slightly browned.
- Add sausage back to the skillet, stirring into the cabbage. Cook until heated, about 2 minutes.