This simple hot chocolate cake is made with hot chocolate mix and topped with fluffy frosting – the perfect sweet treat for winter!
I wait for this month all year long! Not only is it my birthday month, it’s my mom’s birthday month, and, um, hello, Jesus’ birthday month! Hands down, it’s the best month of all the months.
I’ve been blasting Christmas carols, hanging stockings, and watching as many Hallmark Christmas movies as I have time for. I bought our Christmas tree on an online Black Friday sale, so it should be arriving any day now and I am chomping at the bit to set it up and decorate it! The countdown to Christmas break has begun and the very best part of Christmas this year is that my family is making the trek from Colorado to the desert to celebrate with us in Tucson! It doesn’t even matter that we won’t be celebrating until a few days post-Christmas because they’re all going to be here and that’s the best Christmas present I can imagine.
I’ve been trying to hold off my Christmas spirit, but it’s officially December! Meaning, it’s officially okay to drink hot chocolate all. the. time. It’s the rule.
With marshmallows. While watching Christmas movies.
But when hot chocolate and marshmallows don’t fill you up, there’s only one solution : Hot Chocolate Cake with marshmallow filling.
The Break Down:
Doctor up a boxed cake mix a bit, bake, and when they’re completely cool, spread on the marshmallow fluff, cream cheese, and vanilla filling.
Top it with the other cake.
Then cover with the whipped cream frosting – just whipping cream and hot chocolate mix. The filling in this cake is a little bit sweeter, so I kept the frosting light to balance it out.
And…you should probably add mini marshmallow designs on top. It’s all about creative expression. Next time, I’m going for a mini marshmallow moose.
Say that 5 times fast.
And then follow it up with a piece of cake.
Merry Christmas month!
For the Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 c. oil
- 1/2 c. hot chocolate mix
For the Filling
- 1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow fluff
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 c. hot chocolate mix
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together cake mix, eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and hot chocolate mix.
- Grease two 9" cake pans and pour batter evenly in both.
- Bake for 28-31 minutes. Let cool.
- While cakes are cooling, beat together the marshmallow fluff, cream cheese, and vanilla.
- When cakes are completely cool, spread the filling on top of one of the cakes and set the other on top.
- Whip the whipping cream and hot chocolate mix and spread evenly over cake.
- Decorate with mini marshmallows, if desired.