These Quinoa & Black Bean Burrito Bowls make a great healthy lunch or meatless dinner, full of fresh veggies and protein.
My oldest sister is one of those people who can’t stand to have her food touching. She very methodically eats one food off of her plate at a time and they are very carefully separated into their own sections of her plate. It’s how she has eaten for as long as I can remember and now she is 36 and still eating the same way.
I, however, am nothing like that! I am a texture person, so I want to mix creamy with crunchy, crispy with juicy, and soft with firm. I want to taste flavors together and flavors apart because you just never know when you are going to come up with a winning combination like salt & caramel, peanut butter & jelly, or macaroni & cheese.
That’s why I often cook meals that are one-pot, one-pan, or served all together in a bowl. If you are like my sister, you can eat all of these things separately, but…I hope you don’t! You’d be missing out on all of the ways the ingredients in these Quinoa & Black Bean Burrito Bowls compliment each other!
Quinoa & Black Bean Burrito Bowls
Start by prepping your ingredients. Cook up a pot of quinoa (I almost always make extra to have a healthy protein for my lunches or to use in another dish).
Saute up your onions and peppers in a skillet to your liking. I like just a little bit of crunch left in the peppers, but the onions a little softer. Oh, how I love sauteed onions!
Heat up your beans and corn and then start assembling your bowls!
If you are throwing a party or serving dinner to your small group, you could make a quinoa burrito bowl bar where you just have bowls of all the ingredients lined on the counter and people can pick and choose their toppings according to their tastes.
You could make one big burrito bowl with a big spoon for people to serve themselves from…
But my personal favorite way to eat these is to prep the individual bowls and take them to work for lunch. This makes great leftovers, just make sure to leave your sour cream/plain Greek yogurt separate (and I don’t recommend microwaving lime slices either, for the record).
This dish is a winner however you choose to serve it! It’s like a healthier, meatless version of a Chipotle burrito bowl that makes a great weeknight dinner!
- 1 recipe of cilantro lime quinoa
- 1 tsp avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 15-oz can black beans
- 1 15-oz can corn, drained
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- garnish: plain Greek yogurt, guacamole, salsa, lime juice, cilantro
- Prepare quinoa.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, peppers, onions, and salt and stir to combine.
- Cook for about 7 minutes, until charred but tender-crisp. Remove from heat.
- Heat corn and black beans.
- For each serving, top quinoa with peppers, beans, corn, tomatoes, and desired garnish.