This Instant Pot Unstuffed Turkey Cabbage Roll Bowl is an easy one-pot meal made in about 30 minutes, great for quick healthy weeknight dinners & meal prep.
How To Make Instant Pot Unstuffed Turkey Cabbage Roll Bowls
First, using the saute mode on your Instant Pot, cook the ground turkey, onion, and garlic until the turkey is no longer pink.
Press cancel to stop the saute mode when it’s cooked.
Next, sprinkle the white rice on top of the meat.
Then add in your bag of coleslaw.
Sprinkle the spices on top of the coleslaw, then pour in the tomatoes and tomato sauce NOT stirring it in.
When tomatoes sink to the bottom of your pot, they can give you a burn notice and mess up the cooking process, so try to keep them at the top of your pot!
Close the lid, set the valve to sealing, and choose the manual high pressure mode and set the timer for 8 minutes.
When the cooking cycle is complete, quick release the pressure by moving the valve (carefully!) to venting.
When all of the pressure has released and the pin has dropped, open the lid, and stir in the cheese.
That’s all there is to it! Now it’s all ready to serve (or dish out into meal prep containers to save for the week, if you prefer!).
Can I Substitute…
Ground beef for the ground turkey?
Sure! I’d stick with the lean variety for the closest nutritional benefits.
A head of cabbage for the bag of coleslaw mix?
Absolutely! You can thinly slice a head of cabbage for about 16oz (the equivalent of a bag of coleslaw).
Brown rice for white rice?
I do NOT recommend using brown rice in this recipe.
I get it. I love brown rice and I use it whenever I can, but brown rice has a much longer cooking time than white rice, so when you are trying to synchronize cooking times with the other ingredients in this one-pot meal, it just doesn’t work well. Everything else will be overcooked.
Chicken or veggie broth for beef broth?
Absolutely! Whatever taste you prefer works!
Can I Double This Recipe?
I wouldn’t. As you can see from the pictures, the coleslaw fills the pot pretty well and in my 6-quart Instant Pot, I don’t there would be room to double the recipe.
Can I Meal Prep This Recipe?
Absolutely, yes! It keeps and reheats so well! I just divvy the entire recipe out into glass meal prep containers (these are my favorites), wait for them to cool, then store them in the fridge until I’m ready to heat and eat them.
What Do You Serve With These Bowls?
These are a one-pot meal with protein, veggies, and rice all in one dish, so I usually don’t serve it with any side dish at all!
But, if you’d like to add something to the meal, you could try:
- Roasted Baby Carrots
- a fruit salad
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- Roasted Zucchini Spears
- Cranberry Kale Salad
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup dry, uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 (16oz) bag coleslaw mix
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 (14.5) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Using the saute setting on your Instant Pot, cook the ground turkey, onion, and garlic together until the turkey is fully cooked and no longer pink, breaking up the turkey into small pieces as it cooks. Press cancel to end sauté mode.
- Sprinkle the rice on top of the meat mixture, then pour in the broth.
- Add in the cole slaw mix and sprinkle with spices.
- Top with the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Do not stir.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and use the manual/pressure cook setting. Set the timer for 8 minutes (remember it will take time for your Instant Pot to build up pressure before the cook time will begin).
- When the cook time is complete, carefully move the valve to “Venting” to quick release the pressure.
- When all of the pressure has released and the pin has dropped, remove the lid and stir in the cheese until it is melted.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 6 servings (~1 1/2 cups)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 1026mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 19g