Use these Bible verses on mercy to learn more about God’s forgiveness of our sins, His compassion for us, and His unfailing love.
Throughout Scripture, we are introduced to different qualities and characteristics of God. Perhaps one of the most evident virtues that we not only read in Scripture but that we get to experience daily is God’s mercy and compassion.
What’s the definition of mercy in the Bible?
Mercy and grace are often used in the same discussions. Both are characteristics of God that He has blessed us with, and that play a role in our salvation. Mercy has to do with kindness and compassion. In the light of our sins, we deserve the punishment of death.
But God showed us mercy, or compassion by withholding punishment. In other words, He didn’t give us what we deserved. Instead, He showed us kindness and compassion by allowing Christ to take our place.
Why does God show us mercy?
God does not show us mercy because of our own goodness. He has every right to give us our due punishment, and it would not be cruel of Him, it would be perfectly just. Because He is a just God He had to punish sin, and that is where Christ comes in, who is the sinless Lamb of God, and the only one who could bear the sin of the world upon His shoulders.
Because of God’s undeserved mercy towards us, we can now live our lives for His glory and honor. Part of that includes showing mercy, compassion, and kindness towards others, just as He did toward us. The best place for us to learn about God’s mercy is through scripture.
There are many verses that talk about God’s mercy and compassion, here are 35 verses for you to meditate on.
Bible Verses on Mercy
1. Matthew 5:7 – God Shows Mercy to the Merciful
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
2. Psalm 145:8 – The Lord is Compassionate
The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.
3. Luke 6:36 – Imitate God in His Mercifulness
Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
4. Psalm 145:9 – God Shows Compassion to All
The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made.
5. Ephesians 2:4-5 – He is Rich in Mercy
But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.
6. James 2:13 – Mercy Triumphs Over Judgement
Because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
7. Romans 9:15 – He Has Mercy On Whom He Chooses
For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”
8. 1 Chronicles 16:34 – God’s Love Endures Eternally
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
9. 1 Peter 1:3 – God Gives Out of His Great Mercy
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
10. 2 Samuel 24:14 – God’s Mercy is Greater than Man’s Mercy
David said to Gad, “I am in deep distress. Let us fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into human hands.”
11. Psalm 100:5 – All Generations Witness God’s Faithfulness & Love
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
12. Hebrews 4:14-16 – There is Mercy Before God’s Throne of Grace
Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
13. Romans 9:16 – God’s Mercy Surpasses Human Desire
It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.
14. Lamentations 3:22-23 – God’s Mercies Are New Every Morning
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
15. Micah 6:8 – We Are Called To Love Mercy
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
16. Micah 7:18-19 – God Delights to Show Mercy
Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.
17. Luke 1:50 – God Extends His Mercy to Those Who Fear Him
His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.
18. Jude 1:2 – May You Have Mercy in Abundance
Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.
19. Daniel 9:9 – God is Merciful & Forgiving
The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him.
20. Hebrews 2:17-18 – Christ is Our Mericul & Faithful High Priest
For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
21. Psalm 23:6 – God’s Love & Goodness is For Eternity
Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
22. Deuteronomy 4:31 – We Serve a Merciful God
For the Lord your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your ancestors, which he confirmed to them by oath.
23. Matthew 9:13 – God Desires Mercy
But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.
24. 2 John 1:3 – May You Experience Mercy from God the Father & Jesus Christ, the Son
Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, will be with us in truth and love.
25. Colossians 3:12 – Clothe Yourself with Compassion
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
26. Psalm 51:1-2 – Asking God for Mercy
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.
27. Isaiah 30:18 – God Longs to Be Gracious to You
Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice.
Blessed are all who wait for him!
28. Psalm 25:6-7 – God’s Mercy is From Old
Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you, Lord, are good.
29. Proverbs 28:13 – Those Who Confess & Renounce Their Sin Find Mercy
Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.
30. Romans 12:1 – Live For God Because of His Mercy Towards You
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.
31. Psalm 130:1-2 – God Hears Your Cry for Mercy
Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.
32. 2 Peter 3:9 – God Desires To See People Saved
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
33. 2 Samuel 22:26 – God is Faithful
To the faithful you show yourself faithful, to the blameless you show yourself blameless.
34. Deuteronomy 7:9 – God Keeps His Covenant of Love
Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.
35. Jeremiah 3:12 – God’s Anger Subsides
Go, proclaim this message toward the north: “‘Return, faithless Israel,’ declares the Lord, ‘I will frown on you no longer, for I am faithful,’ declares the Lord, ‘I will not be angry forever.