Feeling impatient, frustrated, and frazzled? Use these 33 Bible verses on patience to bring more peace and calm to your soul.
We’ve all heard the saying, “Patience is a virtue.” But how many times does that virtue show up throughout our day?
Patience is tough to come by, especially in times when you need it most (I currently have a 2-year-old and often feel like I’m lacking patience!). But there are so many times in life that building this fruit of the Spirit comes in handy.
Whether we are waiting in line or whether we are waiting on God in difficult circumstances, patience is a key that unlocks many benefits. In fact, patience is not only a part of the fruit of the spirit, it is also in the popular 1 Corinthians 13 text as one of the qualities of love.
Patience is an especially tough quality to come by and to nature in our modern times.
We have instant access to the internet, immediate access to our emails, and quick access to tutorials, contacts, bookings and entertainment right at our fingertips.
We are always on the go, living face-paced lives.
But patience requires us to slow down.
It requires waiting, and waiting is the enemy of a fast-paced life these days. But patience offers us things that a fast-paced life often overlooks.
Before we jump into the Bible verses on patience, let’s consider the benefits of patience. There are many reasons why patience triumphs over impatience, but these are four great reasons to pursue patience in your everyday life.
What Are the Benefits of Patience?
- Patience honors God. When we practice patience, we are submitting to His will for us and choosing to act rather than react.
- Patience honors people. We can’t avoid being let down or frustrated by others, but we can choose how we respond towards them. If someone makes a mistake, showing patience instead of agitation is a way of showering them with grace.
- It contributes to wiser decisions. When you are patient, you free yourself up to take deliberate time and consideration. Impatience often leads to rushed decisions that haven’t been thoroughly thought through. Patience allows you to make wiser decisions and choose what is best instead of what is most convenient at the time.
- It protects your reputation. Most of us have been around people who get really angry. Some of us may be those people who get really angry. Explosive anger is usually a trait that some people are associated with. Unfortunately, it isn’t a quality that most people appreciate in others and it has the ability to do much harm. You not only harm your relationships with others, but you harm your reputation. It does not take a lot of self-control to be explosive, but it does take a lot of self-control to be patient. It is better to be known for your patience rather than your impatience.
These are just a few benefits of patience.
On the other hand, impatience can lead us to a lack of peace.
When we act with impatience, we risk acting with poor judgment. Our attitudes toward those on the other end of our impatience are usually less than virtuous. And we make hasty decisions that we might regret in the end.
When we grow in patience, it not only shows that we are walking in the Spirit. But we are also walking in love toward those around us. When we are impatient, we are a lot more inclined to respond with the flesh in situations.
And when we lack patience with others, we forfeit dealing with them in love. Love is patient.
There are many places in Scripture that call us to practice patience.
Today I’ll be sharing 33 Bible verses on patience. If you find yourself struggling with patience, don’t despair. These Bible verses are not only meant to convict you but encourage you to pursue patience and to grow in it.
All Bible verses are from the New International Version (NIV).
Scripture on Patience
1. Romans 12:12 – Patient In Affliction
“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”Romans 12:12
2. Proverbs 14:29 – Patience Brings Understanding
“Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly.”Proverbs 14:29
3. Psalm 40:1 – Wait Patiently
“I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.”Psalm 40:1
4. Lamentations 3:25-26 – Wait Quietly
“The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.”Lamentations 3:25-26
5. Ephesians 4:2 – Be Patient
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”Ephesians 4:2
6. Colossians 3:12 – Intentionally Wear Patience
“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”Colossians 3:12
7. Hebrews 10:36 – Patiently Persevere
“You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.”Hebrews 10:36
8. Isaiah 40:31 – Waiting Will Renew Strength
“but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”Isaiah 40:31
9. Galatians 5:22-23 – The Fruit Of The Spirit
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”Galatians 5:22-23
10. Psalm 27:14 – Waiting Builds Strength
“Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”Psalm 27:14
11. James 5:8 – Stand Firm
“You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near.”James 5:8
12. Exodus 14:14 – Choose Stillness
“The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”Exodus 14:14
13. 2 Peter 3:8 – Eternal Time Doesn’t Feel Like Our Time
“But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.”2 Peter 3:8
14. Colossians 1:11 – Waiting Brings Endurance And Patience
“being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience.”Colossians 1:11
15. Proverbs 15:18 – Patience Calms Conflict
“A hot-tempered person stirs up conflict, but the one who is patient calms a quarrel.”Proverbs 15:18
16. 2 Peter 3:9 – God Is Not Slow, But Patient
“The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”2 Peter 3:9
17. 1 Thessalonians 5:14 – Show Everyone Patience
“And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone.”1 Thessalonians 5:14
18. Colossians 1:10-11 – Patience Is A Sign Of Strength
“so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience.”Colossians 1:10-11
19. Proverbs 16:32 – Self-Control Is Better Than Warring
“Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city.”Proverbs 16:32
20. Psalm 37:6-7 – Waiting For The Lord Is Active, Not Passive
“He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.”Psalm 37:6-7
21. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 – Patience Is A Key Element Of Love
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”1 Corinthians 13:4-5
22. 2 Timothy 4:2 – We Receive Patience From God To Show It To Others
“Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.”2 Timothy 4:2
23. Ecclesiastes 7:8 – Better Than Pride
“The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride.”Ecclesiastes 7:8
24. Hebrews 6:15 – Fulfilled Promises
“And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.”Hebrews 6:15
25. Joel 2:13 – Slow To Anger
“Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity.”Joel 2:13
26. Galatians 6:9 – Put The Work Into The “Small”, Everyday Choices To Do Good
“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”Galatians 6:9
27. 1 Timothy 1:16 – Jesus’ Immense Patience Is Our Example
“But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.”1 Timothy 1:16
28. Philippians 4:6 – Waiting With Prayer, Petition, & Thanksgiving
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”Philippians 4:6
29. Romans 8:24-25 – Hold Onto Hope While We Wait
“For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.”Romans 8:24-25
30. 2 Timothy 2:24 – To Avoid Quarrels
“And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.”2 Timothy 2:24
31. James 1:19 – Slow To Speak, Slow To Anger
“My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.”James 1:19
32. Hebrews 12:1 – Throw Off Everything That Hinders
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”Hebrews 12:1
33. James 5:7 – Do The Work Then Wait On The Lord
“Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains.”James 5:7