Most of the time, I really like store bought bread. There are so many different varieties out there that I never get bored.
But sometimes, homemade bread just ups the ante from a normal meal to a special one. It would be the perfect addition to a brunch.
The fresh herbs in this quick bread totally bring it to another level, but I bet dried herbs would work just fine in a pinch.
This stuff is fantastic fresh from the oven, but my favorite way to eat it is toasted (the cheese in the bread gets perfectly melty) and topped with a piece of lettuce and Creamy Egg Salad.
But…plain ol’ butter is pretty delicious, too!Print
Cheddar Herb Bread
- Yield: 1
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 Tbs cold butter, cubed
- 1 Tbs fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut butter into dry mixture.
- When mixture is crumbly, mix in fresh herbs, egg, and milk.
- Stir in cheese.
- Spread mixture into a greased 9×5 loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.