Use these Bible verses on freedom to see how the Bible, not our culture, defines true freedom and how we can live in it.
In Christ, we have received unimaginable freedom. He has given us freedom from sin, which means that we no longer have to be slaves to sin. Though we still have the flesh and live in the world, we will sin. However, sin no longer has mastery over us because Christ is our master now, and He is sanctifying us daily.
Not only has He set us free from the slavery of sin, but He has also set us free from the condemnation of sin, and the death that comes with sin. The Bible tells us in Romans 7, “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” This is because God has delivered us from our sin through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Though Christ has given us freedom, this does not mean that He has given us a license to sin. The freedom that we have received from sin and death is something that we can cherish, and therefore live a life that is worthy of what He has done for us. He has made us free, so we can live as those who are free. And true freedom comes from abiding in Christ and living according to His Word.
One of the greatest parts of this freedom that we have in Christ, is that we get to be reconciled to God the Father. So we can hold firmly to what Hebrews 4:16 says, “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
You can experience more and more freedom in Christ in every area of your life, like:
- food freedom in your eating
- freedom from emotional abuse
- freedom from shame and low self-esteem as you cling to your identity in Christ
- freedom from lies by taking thoughts captive
Our culture tells us that freedom means doing what you want whenever you feel like it. Looking around, it’s easy to see that isn’t as satisfying as people hope it will be!
The Bible gives you so much more hope! There is so much freedom in choosing to live within the healthy boundaries God gives you to keep you safe and close to Him.
If you are looking to find verses on freedom, the Bible has plenty, and we will be sharing a few of them!
Scripture on Freedom
1. 2 Corinthians 3:17 – Where The Spirit is, There is Freedom
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
2. Romans 6:22 – Our Freedom From Sin Leads To Eternal Life
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
3. James 1:25 – God’s Word Brings Freedom To Those Who Do What It Says
But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it – he will be blessed in what he does.
4. 1 Peter 2:16 – Use Your Freedom To Live As God’s Servants
Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.
5. John 8:32 – The Truth Sets Us Free
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
6. John 8:36 – Jesus Christ Sets Us Free From Sin
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
7. Isaiah 61:1-3 – The Gospel of Christ Brings Freedom To The Captives
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.
8. Psalm 119:45 – We Find Freedom Through Living According to God’s Word
I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts.
9. Romans 8:1-4 – The New Covenant of Christ Has Given Us Freedom From The Law of Sin & Death
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.
10. Psalm 118:5 – The Lord Hears Those Who Cries Out To Him & Sets Them Free
In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free.
11. 1 Corinthians 6:12 – Though We Can Do Anything with Our Freedom, Not Everything Is Beneficial
“I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything.
12. Galatians 2:4 – We Live According To Grace Not The Law
This matter arose because some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves.
13. Romans 6:18 – We Are No Longer Slaves To Sin But Righteousness
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
14. Luke 4:18-19 – God Has Appointed Christ To Set Us Free
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
15. Galatians 5:1-6 – Christ Has Set Us Free So We Can Live In His Freedom
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
16. Romans 8:2 – Through Jesus We Have Received The Spirit Which Sets Us Free From The Law of Sin
Because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.
17. Galatians 5:13-14 – Don’t Use Your Freedom To Indulge In Sin
You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
18. Ephesians 3:12 – Christ Has Given Us The Freedom To Approach God with Confidence
In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.
19. Romans 8:15 – God Has Freed Us To Become His Sons & Daughters
The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”
20. Hebrews 2:14-15 – Through Christ We Have Received Freedom From The Fear of Death
Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death- that is, the devil – and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.
21. Colossians 1:21-23 – Christ Has Freed Us From Being Alienated From God the Father
Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation – if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.
22. Romans 8:20-21 – The Creation is Waiting For God To Set It Free From The Bondage of Sin
For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.