This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission from purchased products at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting So Very Blessed!
I’m really into making bread these days – whether it’s pizza crust, sandwich bread, krautburger dough, or hamburger buns, I’m in love. The smell of fresh bread dough is just heavenly, as is the smell of my hands after working with said dough.
I use my bread machine for all of them, because it’s just so stinkin’ easy! It does all the hard work for me and then my only job is shaping and baking it.
I’ve used these buns for hamburgers, sloppy joes, and (very large) dinner rolls so far and I’m sure there will be another use for them soon! This recipe makes 6 buns, but since there is only one of me, I usually freeze half of the dough so no buns go to waste.
They’re sturdy buns that hold together well, but are still soft and delightful. The first time I made the buns, I used them straight from the oven, which made them harder to slice, but the warm, pillowy bread was just perfection. I’ve also made them with and without the egg wash and they’re fabulous either way, but the egg wash (messily done or not) helps the sesame seeds stick to the bun!
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp bread machine yeast
- 1 egg + 1 Tbs water
- Sesame seeds, optional
- Place all ingredients, excluding the last egg + water and sesame seeds, into bread machine, according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Set machine to dough cycle.
- When dough cycle is complete, divide dough into 6 equal pieces and shape each into buns.
- Place each piece of dough onto a greased baking sheet, cover with a tea towel, and let rise for 40-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together 1 egg and 1 Tbs water and brush egg wash onto dough (you won’t use all of it) and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
Ready to Jump Start Your Weight Loss Journey?
Sign up for my weekly emails and get your free Christian weight loss guide, along with weight loss tips, healthy recipes, and faithful encouragement for keeping God the center of your weight loss journey.