This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission from purchased products at no additional cost to you.
I do not have a green thumb. Pretty much everything plant-related suffers under my care. I’ve never even tried to garden, because #1 – this is Tucson. Desert. Things come here to die. And #2 – I just forget to take care of them. And I never research how to take care of them, so if they need more complicated care than sunlight and water, I’m sunk.
But I’ve always wanted to keep fresh basil on hand. And my good friend Laurie told me that it’s one of the easiest things to keep alive. I use it all the time and fresh basil at the store gets expensive fast! So when I saw a basil plant at the store this summer, I decided to go for it.
For two whole months now, I’ve kept my little basil plant alive! It was touch and go there for awhile after Shawn and I’s Vegas trip a few weekends ago, when it had to go a few days without water, but I think it’s going to make a full recovery.
And you know if I have fresh basil in my kitchen, it’s going to be put into a quinoa bite!
With the basil, tomatoes, and mozzarella, these are like tiny little caprese salads…in quinoa bite form. Especially when you dip them in balsamic vinegar.
The protein-packed quinoa, vegetable, and fresh herb make it a perfectly popable healthy snack.
And, as always, the best part about quinoa bites is that they’re so easy to make. Chop, mix, and bake. That’s all there is to it!Print
- 2 c. cooked quinoa (cooked in low sodium chicken broth)
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c. Panko breadcrumbs
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each) OR use a cookie scoop to scoop bites onto a cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat (this is my preferred method).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before removing from pan.
Ready to Jump Start Your Weight Loss Journey?
Sign up for my weekly emails and get your free Christian weight loss guide, along with weight loss tips, healthy recipes, and faithful encouragement for keeping God the center of your weight loss journey.