This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission from purchased products at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting So Very Blessed!
This has been my family’s go-to summer recipe for as long as I can remember. Everybody in our family adores Chinese Chicken Salad and requests it often, which is reason enough to make it, but the biggest summer perk is that it doesn’t heat your kitchen up!
It’s so easy to make the parts ahead of time and just throw it together at the last minute. I almost always have cooked, chopped chicken that I grill and freeze to keep on-hand for meals like this. I bring this salad to potlucks a lot for a lighter option. I just prep everything the night before – I mix the coleslaw, chicken, and green onions in the serving bowl, put the toasted crunchy topping in a sandwich baggie, and pour the dressing into a mason jar. That way, the only thing I have to do before serving is shake the dressing in the jar, pour it over the salad, and toss it all together with the crunchy stuff.
The juicy chicken, crisp cabbage, just-sweet-enough dressing, and crunchy noodles make it a cool and refreshing lunch or dinner.
I may be slightly bias, because I’m a sucker for nostalgia and I can remember so many summer evenings that we would sit outside on our picnic table eating this with a side of grapes on our brightly colored sectioned plastic plates, while our little black lab bounced around the yard eating the sprinkler heads…but it seems that everyone else I’ve served this too enjoys it as well, so it’s not just me!
- 1 packet Ramen soup seasoning (any flavor, but my favorite is oriental!)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil (olive or canola)
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 package Ramen noodles, crumbled
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 lb package shredded coleslaw mix
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- Boil the first 5 ingredients (Ramen seasoning, sugar, vinegar, oil, and soy sauce) together for 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly brown the almonds, sesame seeds, and crumbled noodles in butter in a skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
- Slice green onions and mix with coleslaw and chicken.
- Toss with dressing. Add noodle mix just before serving.