This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission from purchased products at no additional cost to you.
To celebrate the arrival of my first overnight guests last weekend, I decided to come up with an overnight breakfast recipe and I had just bought some insanely delicious (and massive!) Honeycrisp apples.
This recipe is fantastic, because you can prep it all the night before, so there’s nothing to do in the morning except let it rise a little and bake!
I didn’t used to be a huge fan of nuts and it’s really easy to leave them out of half or all if that’s the case for you, but they sure do add a delicious crunch (and an extra dose of protein)!
There is a sweet apple crunch, caramel-y brown sugar filling, buttery soft bread, and sweet vanilla icing that you can’t help but love!
For the Dough
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast
For the Filling
- 4–5 Tbs butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup apple, finely diced
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–3 Tbs milk
- Put all dough ingredients into bread machine, according to manufacturer’s instructions. Set to dough cycle.
- When dough cycle is complete, remove dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15″x12″ rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter over dough. Sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon, walnuts, and apple evenly over dough.
- Starting with the longest side closest to you, tightly roll up the dough, lightly pinching the end to seal the roll.
- Cut the roll into 12 equal pieces.
- Place rolls in a single layer in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Cover and keep in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove rolls from refrigerator and place into cold oven. Fill a dish with boiling water and set on the rack below the rolls. Close oven door.
- Let rolls rise for about 30 minutes.
- Remove rolls and water pan from oven, turn oven on, and preheat to 375 degrees.
- Bake rolls for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing together the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk.
- Remove rolls from oven. Either pour glaze over the entire pan or roll-by-roll, according to your taste.
Ready to Jump Start Your Weight Loss Journey?
Sign up for my weekly emails and get your free Christian weight loss guide, along with weight loss tips, healthy recipes, and faithful encouragement for keeping God the center of your weight loss journey.