30 Bible verses on overcoming to encourage and help you navigate trials, struggles, and difficulties in your life.
In life, we will face different seasons, and each season comes with inevitable obstacles. Some of what we consider obstacles are what Scripture calls trials.
Maybe you are:
- fighting against a strong temptation to sin
- battling addiction
- struggling in an emotionally abusive marriage
- going through a divorce
- discouraged in your weight loss journey and health
- going through financial struggles
- stressed and exhausted and not sure how to break through it
- …or thousands of other struggles you could be wrestling with
God’s Word speaks to all of them and can empower you to overcome by relying on His power, not your own strength.
In James, we get an in-depth description of trials and their purpose in our lives. Although they may not always feel good when we are going through them, God does use them for our good in the end.
We read in James 1:2-4, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
In Scripture, we see many people overcoming trials and tribulations. One of the most well-known stories is that of Job, who lost pretty much all he had. We see that it is not his own strength that helps him overcome his circumstances, but his faith in God and trusting that God is just.
One of the most striking things he says during this time is “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.”
Job knew something that we often forget. All he had, and all he was was not a result of himself, but only through the grace and kindness of God. He knew that he came into the world with nothing, and would leave with nothing as well.
Though he could have been angry, or pointed fingers at God, he decided to trust God instead, knowing that He is sovereign and just. Most of us know how Job’s story ends, God restores Him, and honors his faith.
The way we endure obstacles, and trials is just as significant as getting to the other side of them. In every obstacle that we face in life, we can hold onto Christ who is our victor, and through whom we have already overcome the world.
Read on to see 30 Bible verses on overcoming trials, struggles, and difficulties in your life.
30 Bible Verses On Overcoming
1. John 1:5 – The Light Overcomes The Darkness, Jesus is that Light
“The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.”
2. 1 John 5:4 – Our Faith Has Overcome The World
“For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.”
3. Romans 12:21 – Overcome Evil With Good
“Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
4. Luke 1:37 – God Keeps His Promises
“For every promise from God shall surely come true.”
5. 1 Corinthians 15:57 – The Father Gives Us Victory Through Jesus Our Lord
“But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
6. Romans 8:37 – In Christ We Are More Than Conquerors
“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”
7. Revelation 12:11 – Through The Blood of The Lamb We Overcome The Enemy
“And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.”
8. 1 John 4:4 – He Who Is In Us Is Greater Than He Who Is In The World
“Little children, you are of God, and have overcome them. For greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world.”
9. Revelation 17:14 – The Lamb Will Overcome Them
“These will wage war against the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, because He is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those who are with Him are the called and chosen and faithful.”
10. 1 Timothy 6:12 – Fight The Good Fight of Faith Until The End
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
11. 1 John 2:14 – You Have Overcome The Evil One
I have written to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
12. Luke 10:19 – Jesus Gave His Disciples The Ability The Overcome All The Power of the Enemy
I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.
13. 1 John 5:5 – The One Who Believes That Jesus Is The Son of God Is He Who Overcomes The World
“Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?”
14. Psalm 44:5 – Through Your Name
“Through You we will push back our adversaries; Through Your name we will trample down those who rise up against us.”
15. Jeremiah 29:11 – God Knows The Plans He Has For You
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
16. 1 Corinthians 10:13 – God Provides The Way of Escape From Temptations
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
17. Psalm 34:1 – At All Times His Praise Will Be On My Lips
“I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise will always be on my lips.”
18. Jeremiah 1:19 – They Will Not Overcome You
“They will fight against you, but they will not overcome you, for I am with you to deliver you,” declares the Lord.”
19. Revelation 3:12 – He Who Overcomes
“He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name.”
20. Proverbs 3:5-6 – Do Not Lean On Your Own Understanding, But Trust In the Lord with All Your Heart
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
21. Philippians 4:6-7 – In All Things Turn To God In Prayer
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
22. Psalm 91:2 – The Lord is Our Refuge & Fortress
“I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
My God, in whom I trust!”
23. Hebrews 12:1 – Throw Off The Sin That So Easily Entangles, That You May Run The Race with Perseverance
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”
24. 1 Timothy 4:12-13 – Despite Your Youth, Set An Example For Believers
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.
25. James 1:2-4 – The Testing of sour Faith Produces Steadfastness
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
26. Romans 5:4 – Endurance Produces Character Which Produces Hope
And endurance produces character, and character produces hope.
“After all, it is I, the Eternal One your God, who has hold of your right hand, Who whispers in your ear, “Don’t be afraid. I will help you.”
28. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 – God’s Will Is For Us To Give Thanks In All Circumstances
Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
29. James 1:19-21 – Overcome Human Anger
“My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.”
30. 2 Peter 1:5-8 – Increase In These Qualities
For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.