This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission from purchased products at no additional cost to you.
Carbs are so comforting to me. And they just taste so darn good. Fluffy dinner rolls, soft pretzels, buttery garlic bread, warm french bread…
Bring. it. on.
I’ve already talked about how my favorite breakfast to offer guests is warm cinnamon rolls, but I wanted to play around with the recipe and kick ’em up a notch for the season. Cinnamon rolls are amazing in and of themselves, but when you add little chunks of sweet apples (Honeycrisps are my favorite!) and a golden caramel sauce, well that’s just a horse of a different color.
And you really don’t need to make the caramel sauce from scratch. Caramel ice cream topping would do just fine, but there’s just something about making it from scratch that exudes more love in my mind.
I’m all about the love exuding.
It’s what carbs and I have in common. The love exuding. And we’re both a little fluffy.
Sometimes I make these the day before, put them in the fridge overnight, and let them rise in the morning, but either way you can’t go wrong with sweet cinnamon-y, oozing butter-y, homemade caramel-y rolls.Print
For the Dough
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast
For the Filling
- 4–5 Tbs butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
For the Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 Tbs butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs corn syrup
- Put all dough ingredients into bread machine, according to manufacturer’s instructions. Set to dough cycle.
- When dough cycle is complete, remove dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15″x12″ rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter over dough. Sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon, and apple evenly over dough.
- Starting with the longest side closest to you, tightly roll up the dough, lightly pinching the end to seal the roll.
- Cut the roll into 12 equal pieces.
- Place rolls in a single layer in a greased 9×13 baking dish. Let rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat to 375 degrees.
- Bake rolls for 20 minutes.
- Put all of the ingredients for the caramel sauce in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Stirring occasionally, let boil for about 6 minutes, until thickened.
- Drizzle caramel over rolls.
Ready to Jump Start Your Weight Loss Journey?
Sign up for my weekly emails and get your free Christian weight loss guide, along with weight loss tips, healthy recipes, and faithful encouragement for keeping God the center of your weight loss journey.