This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission from purchased products at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting So Very Blessed!
These Healthier Fluffy Pancakes are a great breakfast choice made with white whole wheat flour to keep them fluffy, delicious, and nutritious.
I know everybody talks about how breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I’m pretty sure it’s even more important for us non-morning-people folk.
My alarm clock blaring will wake me up, but my bed is extremely comfortable. There is something magical that happens first thing in the morning and it somehow makes my pillows that much softer and my bed that much cushier.
I need a pretty good reason to get out of bed in the morning.
Sometimes it’s an exciting event I have going on like meeting a friend for coffee or going on a date day adventure.
Sometimes, all I need to look forward to is a special breakfast. What can I say? Delicious food is a great motivator for me!
Healthier Fluffy Pancakes
One of the things that makes these pancakes fluffy is the addition of vinegar. When you mix milk and vinegar then let it sit for a few minutes, you are essentially creating buttermilk.
You can surely just use buttermilk if you keep it on-hand, but I never have it in my kitchen, so vinegar and milk is my go-to!
The other thing that makes this recipe extra amazing is the white whole wheat flour. It adds extra nutrients and fiber to keep you healthier and full longer without making your pancakes taste like hockey pucks.
I’ve found that whole wheat flour is just too heavy alone, but this half and half mixture of white whole wheat and all purpose flour is just right to keep that light and fluffy pancake texture.
This recipe only takes a few minutes to throw together and you can make it even faster by mixing all of your dry ingredients together ahead of time and keeping them ready to go in a container in your pantry!
My sister’s family loves pancakes, so I made a bunch of baggies full of ready-to-go pancake mix for her to use on busy mornings.
Sometimes I top them with fresh fruit and chia seeds, sometimes with peanut butter and preserves, and sometimes with good ol’ maple syrup. There’s really no wrong way to eat these pancakes and they are always quickly devoured, so I usually make a double recipe!
- 3/4 c. skim milk
- 2 Tbs white vinegar
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbs white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- cooking spray, if needed
- In a mixing bowl, stir together milk and vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt).
- Whisk egg into the milk mixture, then pour in dry ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray if necessary.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle for each pancake.
- Cook until bubbles pop to the surface and bottom is golden brown.
- Use a spatula to flip the pancakes, then cook until the remaining side is also browned.
- Remove from pan and serve warm.