These Salsa Verde Chicken Quesadillas are easy to throw together for a quick lunch and are packed full of flavor and protein.
Confession – sometimes I make things for the sole purpose of using it as a medium to eat mango salsa. True story.
Costco has always carried the best mango peach salsa. I used to go through a huge container every month because I put that fruity, just-spicy-enough goodness on everything from scrambled eggs to baby carrots.
Then they stopped carrying it.
But last time we were there, we spotted this beauty on the shelf and it is a very close second to the old version! It still has that balance of sweet and slightly spicy and I just love the texture of those mango chunks!
Anyways…on this particular day, I was looking for something to top with mango salsa (because people tend to frown on me eating it straight out of the jar with a spoon for some reason).
How To Make Salsa Verde Chicken Quesadillas
These quesadillas were just meant to be. I opened the fridge to find that we just happened to have all of the perfect leftovers – rotisserie chicken, pinto beans, shredded cheese, and salsa verde sauce.
Which meant this lunch was thrown together in mere minutes (I love it when that happens!) with hardly any dishes (I love it even more when that happens!).
So, gather your ingredients and stir them all together.
Heat up your skillet and add your tortilla.
I always let the tortilla heat for just a few seconds before I add the filling and fold it over because a cracked tortilla makes for a very messy quesadilla!
Get it all nice and golden brown and you’ve got yourself a crispy, melty Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada all ready to eat…almost.
First, you have to top it with a big ol’ pile of mango salsa!
Don’t think I didn’t add even more after I took the pictures!
Okay, now you’re allowed to eat it.
- 1 c. cooked chopped chicken
- 1/2 can pinto beans
- 4-oz can diced green chiles
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 c. mild salsa verde
- 1/2 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 tortillas
- Garnish: plain Greek yogurt, avocado, green onions, salsa
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the tortillas.
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Lay tortilla in the skillet and heat until softened, about 10 seconds.
- Add filling and fold tortilla in half. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook until the other side is also golden brown.
- Remove from skillet and repeat with remaining tortillas.