This Instant Pot American Goulash & Green Beans is a healthy one-pot meal that is easy to throw together with elbow macaroni, ground beef, veggies, & more.
First off, I want to clarify right off the bat that this recipe is for American Goulash, not Hungarian. Those are two very different things, so I don’t want you to be disappointed!
While Hungarian Goulash is more of a stew using paprika, American Goulash is a delicious blend of beef, tomato sauce, and elbow macaroni. Sometimes American Goulash is called American Chop Suey.
How To Make American Goulash
Start by using the saute mode on your Instant Pot to brown your ground beef, onion, and garlic (one of my favorite features on my Instant Pot to save dishes and make one-pot meals!
Make sure nothing is burned or stuck to the bottom of your pot after browning the meat.
I use a 6-Quart DUO Instant Pot for this recipe (my favorite!).
When the meat is cooked, press cancel to stop saute mode and pour in your beef broth, Worcestershire, and seasonings.
Now add your noodles. They won’t be completely covered by broth, but there is no need to worry!
We will be adding more liquid with the tomatoes later and they will end up being fully covered so they will cook properly.
Add in your chopped green bell peppers.
Now add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Keep in mind that the order you add your ingredients is important! Sometimes, tomato products will cause the BURN notice on your Instant Pot if they are near the bottom of your pot.
If you follow the order listed on this recipe and DON’T STIR before cooking, you shouldn’t run into any issues!
Now, put on the lid, set the valve to “Sealing,” and choose the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” button to cook for 5 minutes.
It’ll take some time for your pot to come to pressure before it starts counting down those 5 minutes.
When the cooking time is complete, carefully open the valve to quick release the pressure.
Stir in the frozen green beans and put the lid back on. It’ll take 5-10 minutes for the green beans to warm.
Then give it a taste and add as much salt and pepper as you’d like.
That’s all there is to it!
Can I Substitute….
Ground turkey for ground beef?
Vegetable or chicken broth for the beef broth?
Sure! The beef broth complements the ground beef in this recipe, but any broth will work. And if you don’t have any broth on-hand, I love using Better Than Bouillon.
Whole wheat pasta for the elbow macaroni?
Yes! I use whole wheat pasta whenever I can, but it’s hard for me to find whole grain elbow macaroni so I usually end up making it with the normal, white pasta.
A different vegetable for the green beans?
Sure! Most frozen vegetables would taste great in here! You may need to adjust the warming time at the end of the recipe, depending on how big the vegetable pieces are.
More Healthy One-Pot Meals
- Instant Pot Turkey Meatball Stroganoff Recipe
- Enchilada Quinoa Skillet
- Instant Pot Unstuffed Turkey Cabbage Roll Bowls
- Chicken Sausage Cabbage Skillet
- Instant Pot Turkey Sausage, Potatoes, & Green Beans
- Healthier Instant Pot Spaghetti & Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Turkey Sausage & Bell Peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 12 oz frozen green bean cuts
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Press the sauté button on your Instant Pot (on the “normal” level) and cook the ground beef, onion, & garlic until meat is no longer pink. Press cancel.
- Add Worcestershire, broth, Italian seasoning, & noodles to pot.
- Add in bell pepper, tomatoes & tomato sauce - don’t stir (the tomato products can sometimes cause the "BURN" notice).
- Press the "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" button and set the timer for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- When the time is complete, quick release the pressure.
- Stir in the green bean cuts and replace the lid (leaving the pot on warm) for 5-10 minutes or until green beans are warmed.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 683mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 20g