10 Bible Verses for Your Weight Loss Journey

This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission from purchased products at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting So Very Blessed!

When people ask me about how I lost 100 pounds, they are almost always expecting me to answer with some miracle diet or workout plan. The truth is, one of the most powerful things that helped me lose the weight and keep it off is Bible verses!

Let’s face it – losing weight is hard. It’s usually a much slower process than you want it to be, and it’s so easy to get discouraged, disheartened, and believe that it’s just not worth all the work when you don’t see the progress that you feel like you should.

The good news is, you don’t have to just give in to the discouragement. You have all the tools you need to fight back and the best tool of all is the double-edged sword of God’s Word!

Also, I know how easy it is to skim through posts like this and nod at their truths…then click away rom the page and forget all about them.

If you want these verses to actually impact your life, I would highly encourage you to pick the ones that resonate most with you and memorize them – write them on notecards, use a dry erase marker to write them on your bathroom mirror, make them the lock screen on your phone…whatever it takes! That way, when those negative thoughts rush in (like when you step on the scale and see that you gained a stinkin’ pound instead of losing after you worked so hard!), you are ready to push them out of your mind with the Truth.

10 Bible Verses for Your Weight Loss Journey : So Very Blessed - Losing weight is not nearly as hard when you bring Scripture in! Use these 10 verses to add power, hope, motivation, & encouragement to your journey.

1. 1 Peter 3:3-4

“Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.”

I know that a big part of losing weight is about changing your appearance. I get that you want to lose your muffin top and that bothersome flab that hangs down under your bicep! But I’m telling you, it’s about more than that.

Physically, making healthier choices can start to change your insides (like how your internal organs are functioning) long before you can see anything different on the outside.

And, as Christians, that extra weight is often a symptom of something else going on in your heart; something that is holding you back from experiencing true freedom in Christ.

Get to the root of the problem, the heart of the real issues, and focus more on those things than what your body looks like on the outside (or that pesky number on the scale!).

2. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

“Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.”

Your body is more important than you give it credit for, and taking care of it has a greater purpose than looking good, attracting men, or fitting into a smaller pant size.

You have a calling, a purpose for your life, and taking care of your body is about glorifying God!

Your body houses the Holy Spirit and your food choices, your exercise, your sleep, and how much water you drink – it all matters to God!

3. 1 Corinthians 10:13

“No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”

I know what it’s like to go up against temptation, especially when it comes to food.

For years, I let that voice of temptation win out and dictate my decisions (and I’d end up eating an entire box of Nutty Bars in one sitting). I didn’t fight back against it much, because the food simply sounded so good!

Letting temptation win over and over again led to obesity, a long list of insecurities, and so many other consequences for me.

It’s not worth it. Combat those temptations with Truth! God will provide another way. Take the time to stop and look for it. Put up a fight and don’t let temptation win!

4. Romans 12:1

“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God–this is your true and proper worship.”

Have you ever thought about exercise as a form of worship? It is!

I know exercise is hard and you probably don’t think it’s all that much fun! But offering your body as a living sacrifice means giving Him your best, even when it’s not the easiest path.

Every time you make a healthy choice that you know is good for your body (especially when a not-so-healthy choice is tugging at you) for Him, you are worshipping God.

Don’t just lift your hands and your voice to Him on Sunday – worship Him with your body, mind, and soul!

5. 1 Corinthians 10:31

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

Yes, God cares about what you eat! He created our bodies in such a way that we need certain nutrients to survive.

Eat vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains.

Don’t just do it because you know it’s good for you or to get your doctor to stop hounding you. Don’t do it for the Instagram picture to prove that you ate a salad this week (though I do love all of those healthy meal pictures on Instagram!).

Do it for God. Glorify Him in every aspect of your life, including your diet!

6. Galatians 5:22-23

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”

All of those characteristics are important to nurture, but don’t miss the “self-control.” You can be a kind, good, and loving person and still lose all control when a certain food is set in front of you.

You know when you are tempted to throw that self control out the window.

Maybe it’s when you’re standing in front of a buffet and want to stuff yourself silly or you bake a triple layer chocolate cake and want to eat the entire thing in one night.

Don’t pick and choose which fruit of the Spirit to include in your life. Work on all of them, including reigning yourself in to do what’s good for you instead of just what sounds good at the time.

That includes self-control is about saying no to overindulging on chocolate, but also getting out of bed to get your workout in, too!

7. Proverbs 25:27

“It is not good to eat too much honey, nor is it honorable to search out matters that are too deep.”

Gluttony is one of the most glossed over sins in the Bible. You can walk into a church potluck full of kindhearted, godly people and see overindulgence at every corner.

The overflowing dessert table itself is not a sin – take some and savor it! But don’t have too much of a good thing.

Research shows that your taste buds get tired easily, so even the most decadent things don’t taste as good after the first few bites. Serving sizes are generally a good guideline, but you need to determine what “too much” is for you.

This is not meant to punish or deprive you, it’s to protect you! God knows the physiological affects of overindulging, and He wants what’s best for you, so heed His warning. Stop before you hit the point of “too much.”

8. Ephesians 2:10

“For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

Like I mentioned earlier, you have a purpose! You were created to do good works and often your weight can hold you back from doing those things.

Maybe it’s physically, because you aren’t able to do some activities, or you just don’t have the energy or stamina to do them. Maybe it’s more emotionally, because your insecurities are telling you that you can’t possibly do those things.

Break through the things that are holding you back and live your life knowing that you are God’s handiwork, created to do good works. Step out of your comfort zone. Be vulnerable. Get out there and serve!

9. Galatians 1:10

“Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.”

The comparison trap is a very real and very dangerous thing to fall into. Spend 5 minutes on Facebook and you can see it in action!

You compare your body, your spouse, your vacations, your kids, your strengths, and your talents to everybody else’s, and you are most likely left feeling inadequate and jealous.

Don’t get stuck there! You were created to be uniquely you. Spend your energy being thankful for your body, your family, and your strengths, instead of wasting it on wishing you had somebody else’s.

Win the approval of God, which only happens when you live out life as you, not imitating someone else.

10. James 4:17

“If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.”

You don’t always know what to do – what foods are healthiest for you, what exercises are best for your body, how to get a better night of sleep, or what changes you should be making in your life.

Don’t hold yourself to a bar of perfection, expecting to know all of the right answers, but once you learn, act.

Take your good intentions and turn them into action.

• Cynthia Moore says:
  • Alkema Lewis says:
    Thanks, so much! God has really been dealing with me about my weight and living a more discipline and healthier lifestyle. I prayed and asked God how to do this and He said to "use the Word". In my research for scriptures concerning weight loss, I stumbled upon your page. Nothing, but God! Your lifestyle change is definitely an encouragement to me that it can be done!
    • Becky says:
      You are so welcome! I love that God spoke so clearly to you to turn to Scripture. It's a wonderful instruction book. I'm so glad He brought you here!
  • April Jackson says:
    Awesome inspiration! The enemy uses unhealthy food as a weapon against us just like drugs habits and other lusts of the flesh. I was able to quit smoking through the power of the Holy Spirit, but never thought I could change my eating habits the same way until now. I quit smoking for 1 whole year with sheer will power but because I was relying on my own strength and attempting to “produce” the fruit of self control I lost to temptation. But when I asked God for His help He produced the self control and all I had to do was bear it. And I’ve bore it for going on 4years now praise God. Thank you for reminding me weight loss is no different. May God Bless your ministry abundantly!
    • Becky says:
      You are so right, April. And, wow, what a powerful testimony that you were able to quit smoking by relying on God! Thank you so much for your comment and your blessing!
  • Joanne strider says:
    Just what I needed to hear. I am emotional eater. Have steadily been losing weight since July 2017. Still have 84 lbs to go. Getting tired and discouraged. I gained the weight over several years and I rationally know I won’t lose it overnite but still I get impatient . The road is so long.
    • Becky says:
      I'm so glad, Joanne! And good for you keeping up your consistency and persistence for almost a year now - that's a huge accomplishment! I completely understand your impatience. It's definitely a long haul, but so worth it in the end. Are you on Facebook? We have a wonderful Facebook group for Christian women losing weight and it's a very supportive, encouraging place. I'd love for you to join us (and it's free!) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/christianweightlossandfitness/
  • Trinity says:
    This is for my mommy because she says she is fat but she is not. me and my 2 brothers and my 1 sister tell her she is not fat but she just will not listen. If you will please keep me and my family in prayer so that me and my sibbilings can go home from Tamassee DAR School!
    • Becky says:
      Hi Trinity! I am so glad that you, your brothers, and your sister are there to encourage your mom. She sure is blessed to have such a kind daughter! I will be praying for your family.
  • Rosalyn Green says:
    This was so helpful, thank you Becky!! Rosalyn Green
  • Natalie Jackson says:
    Thank you Becky! This is right on time! I read this and my eyes began to water. I never struggled with weight until after I had children. Your statement on acknowledging what is going on in the heart struck a chord with me. Your entire article blessed my spirit! With Gods help, I know that I can do this! May God abundantly bless you for your obedience and shedding light on the sin of gluttony. Keep me in your prayers as I learn to worship God with my entire being; soul, mind, and body!
    • Becky says:
      Thank you so much for your kind words and blessing, Natalie! I am so excited to hear that the post spurred you on and know that I am stopping to pray for you right after I finish this comment. I am so excited to hear about the victories you are going to have as you offer your whole self up to Him!
  • Margie says:
    Hi Becky, thank you for your awesome work in God's name. This morning God impressed me to look for Bible verses regarding weight loss and health. I need to lose weight and I struggle but my biggest concern is my 30 year old daughter. She is very overweight and even though she knows the tools for losing weight she cannot seem to follow through. She is beginning to have some health issues that can be alleviated if she loses weight. I know that with God all things are possible and I want to pray and have others pray for her. I am starting my own journey with you and want to put my girl in prayer for her to get motivated and put her faith in God. Sorry this is so long. God bless!
    • Becky says:
      Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Margie! I will definitely be praying for your daughter. I completely understand having all of the tools to lose weight, but not having the motivation to take action and use them I am so excited that God nudged you to start looking for Bible verses to strengthen you on your own health and weight loss journey. It is very possible that God will use your example to inspire and motivate your daughter to start making changes. I believe it's nearly impossible to change those things in our lives by ourselves, but when you get other people involved, it changes everything. If your daughter lives near you, I encourage you to invite her into your journey as much as possible. Ask her to make healthy meals with you, try exercise DVDs or classes together, go on walks together, etc. Even if you don't live near her, I hope you talk to her about those changes you are making often. It makes such a big difference! I am lifting both of you up in prayer this morning - that you would be able to rely on God's almighty strength to take care of your bodies to honor Him!
  • Jean says:
    I have been struggling with weight loss for the past year. I was diagnosed with celiac disease and I have gained 15 pounds since. My weight won't budge no matter what I do. I have tried everything! I need to get into serious prayer for this issue. Thank you for this post!
    • Becky says:
      You are so welcome, Jean! Thanks so much for sharing your struggle. When there are other factors (like celiac disease), it sure adds an extra level of difficulty to weight loss. But every time I get to the point of thinking, "I've done absolutely everything I can do and nothing is working", I remember what a mighty God we serve and am so grateful that He makes seemingly impossible things possible. I just stopped to say a prayer for you. Thanks so much for stopping by!
  • Otiti says:
    I am struggling with wait loss ,I am 42yrs old, I am a Christian married with two beautiful girls. I went for my check up on Tuesday and I was told I gained 15pounds im just 3months my feet heart when I walk,I get bad mood swing.I cry alot for just no reason.I what to loss 100 pounds I need help.
    • Becky says:
      Hi, Otiti! I am so sorry to hear you are struggling! Mood swings and crying a lot, along with the weight gain makes it sound like this is all related to hormones, but of course, there's no way for me to know that for sure! Have you joined my email list? At the top of the page, there is a place for your name and email address and I have a guide full of tips to help you lose weight, along with extra support. Start by signing up there and as you read through things, feel free to email me about specific things you are struggling with and I'll do my best to help! In the meantime, I just said a prayer for you.
  • Debra says:
    Very blessed by these verses. Though each is very familiar, your presentation made them even more special. Thank you. May I print them, with your copyright info and share them with my weight accountability partners?
    • Becky says:
      Hi Debra! I'm so glad this post was a blessing to you. You absolutely have my permission to print the verses and share them! I'm so glad you have weight accountability partners - how wonderful to have that support! Thanks so much for asking permission. Blessings, Becky
  • Jyl says:
    It was wonderful, Thank you. It was very relatable and inspirational, Thank you for letting your voice out and speak from God to your heart. Your work is very much appreciated!
  • Natalie says:
    Beautiful!! Thank you. This is exactly the motivation I need. ??
  • Nia says:
    I am thankful for finding this website, I was just saying to myself that I'm not going to be able to loss weight without God. I'm so tired of this battle, I just want to be happy and loss the weight!
  • Teresa T says:
    EXCELLENT read! So very thankful I found it! It's a whole new perspective on living a healthy life; it is so much more important to glorify God than to look cute in my jeans! Thank you for your words! God bless you!
    • Becky says:
      Thank you so much for your encouraging comment, Teresa! You sure brought a smile to my face this morning. I am so glad that you enjoyed the post and praise God for giving us purpose and power in our healthy living! Blessings to you, as well!
  • Edie says:
    Thank you so much for sharing this! I had lost a good bit of weight before last year about this time and since then have been on a roller coaster. This post helps put everything in the right perspective.
    • Becky says:
      You are so welcome, Edie! Congratulations on your weight loss last year! It really is a roller coaster and it can be so discouraging and disheartening! Adding God's Word to the journey sure does add hope and purpose! Praying He blesses you today.
  • Mfon says:
    This is quite inspiring. The word of God is so real and it provides solution to every problem. Thanks Becky for this wonderful post.
    • Becky says:
      Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so glad you were inspired. God's Word is definitely alive - living and active, working to transform our lives and hearts!
  • Peachy Judilla says:
    Thank you so much for this! Much love and respect ????????
  • These Bible verses are very motivating! I just read your story and it's motivating. I have had ups and downs in weight too over the years due to pregnanc.I
    • Becky says:
      Thank you so much, Katy! I haven't gone through a pregnancy yet, but I've heard from friends and family how tough those weight (and hormone) fluctuations can be!
  • Kristi says:
    Such a great list of verses. Ephesians 2:10 is a favorite.
  • kalinann says:
    Wow! These are awesome. Weight loss is a big journey, it takes a lot of strength, and where is a better place to get strength than from the word of God?
  • GodlyDivaGal says:
    Let me add one - Phil 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"....
  • This blog is possibly my favorite ever!